Beetroot Hummus with Carrot and Celery Sticks - Gluten free (serves 8)
- 1 large beetroot (or 2 medium)
- 1 can chickpeas
- 2 scoops of Active Oat 35
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- Olive oil
- Salt to taste
- 3, 4 carrots
- Few stalks celery
- Water crackers (store bought)
- Roast the beetroot for 1 hour and let cool completely.
- In a blender, add drained chickpeas (reserving the liquid to adjust consistency), 1 clove garlic, roughly chopped beetroot, tahini, salt, and blend til smooth. Add olive oil, Active Oat 35, Lemon juice and blend again, adjusting the consistency with water or the drained liquid. Serve with carrot and celery sticks or crackers.
Quick Kitchen Tips:
Tahini paste is commonly used in Middle Eastern cookery and is made from ground sesame seeds. You can purchase tahini paste in the health food section of the supermarket. This paste is commonly used in salad dressings, marinades, some cakes and is part of many Lebanese dips.
Beetroot juice can stain your skin, so wearing kitchen gloves is a good idea when handling beets. If your hands become stained during the cleaning and cooking process, simply rub some lemon juice on them to remove the stain.